I know it’s overwhelming! Where do you start?!? We want to detox our homes and make everything safe for our kids. But if you are just getting started, it’s hard to know what products and ingredients to trust. I was there once, too. It took years to completely makeover my house. I used to research every product and every ingredient. It was exhausting. And as soon as I found something I could trust, it would be bought out by a big corporation and they would totally change the formula. Talk about feeling defeated.
The most important thing you can do is to ditch the synthetic fragrances. This is not my opinion. There are many, many studies showing the negative effects of synthetic fragrances on our bodies. And buyer beware, synthetic fragrances aren’t labeled as “synthetic” – they are simply “fragrance” on the ingredients list. Check out what EWG says about fragrances:
About FRAGRANCE: The word “fragrance” or “parfum” on the product label represents an undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants such as diethyl phthalate. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system.
So where are these fragrances hidden? Ummmm……everything.
- Cleaning products – so we wash our bathtub with products with synthetic fragrances. Then we bathe our kids. We mop our floors with it and then our babies and pets crawl on it. Ummm….”allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system.”
- Room fresheners – this included candles, plug ins, room sprays. We spray our house with it and smell it allllll day. Remember what I said earlier about “respiratory distress”? Use your diffuser instead 😉
- Skin care products – yep, your moisturizer has it
- Oral care products – yep
- Perfume – use your essential oils instead. Get an immune boost and smell great at the same time 😉
- Get it —– It’s in everything
Now you know what to look for. So take one step at a time. Each month, choose one product you’d like to replace. Young Living makes it soooo easy. Join Essential Rewards, get points back, and get your monthly wellness goodie box. All I know is that the big box stores don’t give me 25% back to buy their chemical-laced products.
- Get on essential rewards
- Add 100pv (for most products that’s $100) to get in on the monthly promo (find out what that is here) – it’s usually a free bottle of oil!
- Each month, update your order and add a new nontoxic, safe product you’d like to try. HINT: Start with the Thieves Household Cleaner – 1 small capful per 16 oz. water in a spray bottle. It lasts months and works! Can I get an “amen” for that stuff?!?!
- Get points back – 10% for the 1st 3 months, then 20%, then 25% after 2 years. 1 point = $1. If you are spending 100pv to get the free promo (and to qualify for a referral check), then you’re getting between $10-$25 to cash in for whatever you want! What the what?!?!
And it sure is nice not to have to spend hours researching products and ingredients anymore! I trust Young Living – the company, the products, the farms (yep, these products are made from actual plants!). Thanks YL 😉